Saturday, October 6, 2007

Immersed or Washed Ashore?

If you take pride in and belief yourself to be a member of the Republican party, you won't agree with much of those things I write from a politcal point of view, unless you, like many people who believe in the value of a conservative view and approach to life, have decided that the current administration is conservative in name only.


Recently, I put my thoughts about that on another blog, http://www.capecodlighthouse.blogspot.com/.


Those thoughts were about my reaction to David Brooks' piece in the NYTimes on why the Republican party is coming apart. In that post I mentioned that I considered myself more aligned with the Republican point of view for many years, just as dad and mom did. But I declared myself as an Independent for voting purposes when the words Republican and Conservative came to be only labels and names, like the empty shells one finds on a beach. That which once annimated it, its substance, flesh and blood, and the spirit which moved it are missing, gone, dead, nowhere to be found.

I realized that searching for a home in the Democrat or Liberal group was like looking for another empty shell to inhabit. None of those fits either, and they all had a bad smell left over from their previous inhabitants.

Perhaps the Great Spirit, that Higher Power, which embodies the hopes and aspirations, as well as the pride and satisfaction which springs from the struggle of doing one's best, will once again inhabit, add substance to and annimate a yet unidentified creature. One will be able to encounter it only by becoming immersed in its habitat, taking the chance to dive in without knowing the depth, temperature and potability of the water in which it thrives.

No comments: